Since the year 1948, Information Science has radically changed our world…
For overviews of these impacts, see the three admirable works:
- Soni, J., & Goodman, R. (2018). A Mind At Play: How Claude Shannon Invented the Information Age. Simon & Schuster.
- Gleick, J. (2011). The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood Pantheon Books.
- Khosrow-Pour, M. (2017). Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (4th ed.). IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2255-3.ch405
In his landmark paper A Mathematical Theory of Communication (Shannon, 1948) Claude Shannon discovered the bit (the binary digit, 1 or 0), a measure of units of information, also expanded in the book The Mathematical Theory of Communication (Shannon & Weaver, 1949).
It enables the vertical integration of all knowledge (Sciences, Social Sciences, Arts/Humanities) with a single set of:
– levels (scale/size)
– evolutionary mechanisms
– 3 Laws of all culture
The meta-meta-science of Evolutionary Culturology synthesizes: 1. Information Science, 2. Communication Science, and 3. Systems Science. It also integrates: 4. The science of Cultural Evolution, and 5. Creativity Science.
This is one way to understand it:
And this is another:
The meta-science of Evolutionary Culturology emerged from the domain of Applied Evolutionary Epistemology (Gontier, 2012), in a 2016 PhD study (Velikovsky, 2016a, 2016b) at the Newcastle School of Creativity (Velikovsky, 2020a).
The scientific tools of the new meta-science of Evolutionary Culturology:
- Provide a simple, all-encompassing definition of culture (as: information)
- Provide a simple 4-part taxonomy – of culture (1. Ideas, 2. Mental processes, 3. Physical processes, 4. Products) – this 4-part taxonomy greatly assists with artificial intelligence, and automating (robotizing) work
- Provide a diagnostic tool (a scientific instrument) for simultaneously identifying discrete (1) units and (2) scale-levels of culture (that tool being: the 3 Laws of HOLON/partons), at all scale-levels in the universe, from the multiverse, down to quarks, in scale/size
- Provide a set of evolutionary mechanisms (evolutionary algorithms) for understanding and observing cultural evolution
- Provide a set of Three Laws that describe the emergence (formation), and `growth’ (increase in scale/size) of units of culture (HOLON/partons)
- Thus, provide a scientific method of quantifying (identifying, and counting) discrete units of culture (across all domains of culture: e.g., words, languages, books, music, movies, TV, videogames, science, the arts, inventions, etc.)
- Provides the view (from Popper’s all life is problem solving perspective, 1999) that all units of culture are tools for solving problems (i.e., for achieving goals)
- Result in the strong implication that: we are living in a computer simulation as per (Bostrom, 2017) (due to the implications of The EthiSizer, which Evolutionary Culturology enables)
- Provide support for Multiverse Theory (parallel universes) as per (Tegmark, 2004)
- Provides support for Many Worlds Theory, as per (Everett III, 1956)
- Provides support for Multi-Level Selection Theory – in both biology and culture – as per (Wilson, 2015) (as the interaction of the Three Laws, on units in any domain (physics, chemistry, biology, sociology, culture) cause Multi-Level Selection to occur)
- Enables better understanding of major evolutionary transitions, as per (Maynard Smith & Szathmáry, 1995) (when a new unit – with different agency & structure – emerges; such as: combine two prokaryotes to get a eukaryote, a cell with a nucleus – as one of the universal algorithms for creativity is: combine two (or more) old (existing) things, to get a new thing – and it works better than the competition; creativity is a unit that is new, useful, and surprising)
- Applies equally to both evolution in Biology and Culture – as, biology–as organic systems – contains (is composed of) culture (i.e., information) (as: systems – which like units of culture are fractal HOLON/partons, and systems are: information (culture), energy, and matter)
- Enables consilience, the unity of knowledge (Wilson, 1998) and convergence, the unity of the sciences (Watson, 2016) – by unifying all of the individual sciences (Systems Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Culturology) via one singular, universal set of standard units, levels, evolutionary mechanisms (evolutionary algorithms), and Three Universal Laws of All Culture (the Three Laws of fractal HOLON/partons)
- Shows clearly, how culture evolves (via specific evolutionary algorithms: e.g., SVT, ST, BVSR, i=P, the FSMM of BCEC, etc.)
- Enables the creation of The EthiSizer – a computer simulation of Earth, and all its contents (fractal HOLON/partons) – to ensure that ethical units of culture (ethical: ideas, processes, products) are promoted, and conversely also, that unethical units (e.g., misinformation, lies, propaganda, injustice) are able to be identified, isolated, and ideally eliminated, in the present age of `malinformation epidemics’
- And in turn, The EthiSizer also enables a supranational global government (as suggested by Einstein, Wells, Asimov, Harari, and many other geniuses) in order to attain a Whole Earth Ethic (thus, an end to nationalism, wars, global inequality, and political corruption)
- Builds on (selected, varied and transmitted) key theories of Sir Karl Popper (Popper, 1999) (e.g. Turning his Three Worlds into four worlds; also, his all life is problem-solving view)
- Shows how: Ev Cult solves (at least) 50 hard scientific problems of: `culture’ (which are in fact all the one problem)
- Also solves the previously-unsolved “hard problem” of the narreme, the unit of story (i.e.: since stories/narratives are units of culture, they too, are: fractal HOLON/partons)
- Reveals how Ev Cult is a Kuhnian (Kuhn & Hacking, [Kuhn 1962] 2012) scientific meta-paradigm change (a new multi-disciplinary matrix, for all domains in culture).
Crucially, Systems Science is one of the component elements of the new meta-science of Evolutionary Culturology, because: Our universe is a system of smaller systems (a HOLON/parton).
Systems are made of – and also process (or, use) – 1. Information, 2. Energy, and 3. Matter.
Through the identification, prediction, and control of information, the meta-scientific paradigm-change of Evolutionary Culturology enables a new, useful, surprising (and vastly better) global reality.
If more detail is of interest, the existing 5 papers (book chapters) on Evolutionary Culturology include:
Velikovsky, J. T. (2016). The HOLON/parton Theory of the Unit of Culture (or the Meme, and Narreme): In Science, Media, Entertainment and the Arts. In A. Connor & S. Marks (Eds.), Creative Technologies for Multidisciplinary Applications (pp. 208-246). IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-0016-2.ch009
And, the content of that 2016 book-chapter (an Appendix to the 2016 StoryAlity PhD) was re-published in:
Velikovsky, J. T. (02020). Technology: Memes (Units of Culture). In M. A. Runco & S. R. Pritzker (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Creativity (3rd ed., pp. 585-604). San Diego, Calif.: Elsevier Science & Technology Books.
Velikovsky, J. T. (2019). The HOLON/parton Structure of the Meme, or The Unit of Culture. In D. B. A. Mehdi Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Advanced Methodologies and Technologies in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Simulation, and Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 795-811). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Velikovsky, J. T. (2018). The HOLON/parton Theory of the Unit of Culture (or the Meme, and Narreme): In Science, Media, Entertainment, and the Arts. In IRMA (Ed.), Technology Adoption and Social Issues: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 1590-1627). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Velikovsky, J. T. (2017). Chapter 405: The HOLON/parton Structure of the Meme, or, The Unit Of Culture. In M. Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, Fourth Edition (pp. 4666-4678). New York: IGI Global.
Since the year 2016, the discovery of the HOLON/parton structure of all culture is being expanded to a full-length meta-science textbook. More details to follow.
Thanks for reading. Comments always welcome (once, you have read the 5 chapters listed directly above.)
Also, here’s a 1-hour video, Ev Cult in a 1-hour nutshell.
(…You don’t have to watch it. But; just sayin’… There it is.)
And a much shorter one:
~ Dr. J. T. Velikovsky
Gontier, N. (2012). Applied Evolutionary Epistemology: A new methodology to enhance interdisciplinary research between the life and human sciences. Journal of Philosophy and Science (Kairos: Revista de Filosofia & Ciência), 4, 7-49.
Tegmark, M. (2004). Parallel Universes. In J. D. Barrow, P. C. W. Davies, & C. L. Harper Jr (Eds.), Science and Ultimate Reality: Quantum Theory, Cosmology and Complexity (pp. 459-491). Cambridge University Press.
Velikovsky, J. T. (2016a). `Communication, Creativity and Consilience in Cinema: A comparative study of the top 20 Return-on-Investment (RoI) Movies and the Doxa of Screenwriting’ [University of Newcastle, PhD]. Newcastle, Australia. https://nova.newcastle.edu.au/vital/access/manager/Repository/uon:24940
Velikovsky, J. T. (2016b). The HOLON/parton Theory of the Unit of Culture (or the Meme, and Narreme): In Science, Media, Entertainment and the Arts. In A. Connor & S. Marks (Eds.), Creative Technologies for Multidisciplinary Applications (pp. 208-246). IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-0016-2.ch009
Velikovsky, J. T. (2017). The HOLON/parton Structure of the Meme, or, The Unit Of Culture. In M. Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, Fourth Edition (pp. 4666-4678). IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2255-3.ch405
Velikovsky, J. T. (2018). The HOLON/parton Theory of the Unit of Culture (or the Meme, and Narreme): In Science, Media, Entertainment, and the Arts. In IRMA (Ed.), Technology Adoption and Social Issues: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 1590-1627). IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-5201-7.ch075
Velikovsky, J. T. (2019). The HOLON/parton Structure of the Meme, or The Unit of Culture. In D. B. A. Mehdi Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Advanced Methodologies and Technologies in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Simulation, and Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 795-811). IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-7368-5.ch059
Velikovsky, J. T. (2020b). Technology: Memes (Units of Culture). In M. A. Runco & S. R. Pritzker (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Creativity (3rd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 585-604). Elsevier, Academic Press. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-809324-5.23862-5
Watson, P. (2016). Convergence: The Idea at the Heart of Science – How the Different Disciplines are Coming Together to Tell One Coherent, Interlocking Story, and Making Science the Basis for Other Forms of Knowledge. Simon and Schuster.
A BIO of JT Velikovsky
(focused on: the discovery & publication of Ev Cult)
1970 – Born in a small rural country town in Australia
1975 – Begins primary school in a rural town
1976 – Parents become divorced
1977 – The family moves, attends another primary school in another rural town, for grades 2 to 5
1981 – For Year 6, attends another primary school, in a small coastal country town in Australia. As Dux of the school, is gifted a book, `The Science in Science Fiction’ which he becomes obsessed with. Also likes drawing, skateboarding, surfing, waterskiing, and Tae Kwan Do
1982 – Attends high school in a small city on the east coast of Australia, wins an award for General Excellence in Year 7. Gets 100% in Music class, which the teacher (Mrs Audett) has never seen happen before.
1983 – Comes first in the year in every subject in Year 8 (English, Maths, Science, Computer Studies, Asian Social Studies, Graphics, etc), and promptly loses a lot of interest in High School/academics, and starts phoning it in. Illustrates a published childrens’ book. Subsequently comes first in a different subject each year in high school (e.g. Economics, Woodwork, Technical Drawing, etc)
1988 – Graduates High School, learns to play guitar & write songs
1989 – Works in rural NSW as a builder, fence-maker, sheep and cattle farmer, truck driver, & supermarket storeman
1990 – Moves to Newcastle, NSW. Writes songs, plays in bands in pubs.
1991 – Begins 3-year Communication BA at the University of Newcastle. Discovers Shannon’s Communication Theory. Writes (& has published) short stories, film reviews, starts an unfinished novel.
1992 – For pleasure, reads Gleick’s Chaos (1988), Dawkins’ The Selfish Gene (1979), Koestler”s The Ghost in the Machine (1967), and sees a documentary on fractals. Conjectures that the structure of the unit of all culture is the fractal HOLON/parton. Tells no-one; spends the next 24 years testing out this Grand Scientific Theory of All Culture.
[Wait, what? Who does that-? Also, Isaac Newton and Claude Shannon. They figured out a major scientific puzzle, and then tested it out – very privately – for 20 years… As, when you do publish in Science, you want to have tried to falsify it a lot, yourself, first. Only if you’re finally very confident that it’s true, should you publish, or else, you risk: huge public ridicule, and damage to your scientific reputation. That’s how that: works.]
1993 – Completes 3-year Communication BA; wins an award for The Student Contributing Most to the BA Comms Course. Works as a TV sketch-comedy writer. Also works in comedy theater (writing, acting, directing, producing).
1994 – Works at University of Newcastle as a Video Department Technical Officer, and Communication Tutor for students. Also has about 10 different girlfriends over the next 10 years, but who’s counting.
1995 – Attends film school (AFTRS), studies Screen Writing and Production for a 1-year postgrad certificate. Makes a lot of short films, games, TV. Writes The Feature Film Screenwriters Workbook (1995).
1996 – Is invited back to study Screen Writing & Production at AFTRS for another year, so: does so. Makes more films, games, TV, etc.
1997 – Graduation film school (AFTRS) film wins best film at the international film schools congress. Works for Fox Studios, PolyGram/Universal, and other film companies as a professional script reader, and develops a science-fiction TV series for Fox Studios. Works as a researcher at AFTRS. Has a co-written science fiction screenplay, BIOSPHERE, optioned by film producer Robert Watts (producer of the first 3 Star Wars & Indiana Jones movies, i.e., the good ones.)
1998 – Writes various screenplays for films, games, TV, etc.
1999 – Is the National Videogame Market Analyst for Australia. Falls in love with charts and diagrams and statistics, and probability, (was always in love with: evolutionary theory, and science in general)
2000 – Is the National Videogame Market Analyst for Australia. Moves to Adelaide to work as a game writer for Ratbag Games. Writes a 600-page game script. (Sadly the game becomes vaporware.)
2004/5 – Is company Co-Director of an augmented reality videogames startup spinoff company (A-Rage Pty Ltd), with University of South Australia. Travels to the US, and the UK.
2005 – Moves to Melbourne, works as a writer and game designer for Redtribe Games
2007 – Writes & Game Designs a million-selling videogame
2010 – Has a feature film script produced (has now written about 30 feature film scripts, and lots of TV scripts, and had about 10 film screenplays optioned.)
2011 – Moves to Thailand for 3 months
2011 – Elderly stepfather becomes unwell. Moves back to a country town in NSW Australia to help out the family
2016 – Completes a PhD at The Newcastle School of Creativity (University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia) on Movie & Transmedia Creativity / Cultural Evolution. Publishes on the fractal HOLON/parton structure of all units of culture, and all systems. Begins expanding this scientific discovery to a book. Conceives The EthiSizer.
2017 – Writes & then discards the book, starts over…
2018 – Rewrites, then discards the book, starts over again
2019 – Rewrites then discards the book, starts over
2020 – Rewrites the book. Submits it to a publisher, but it isn’t the right fit
2021 – Writes the book again (5th time’s the charm). Also publishes on The EthiSizer.
2022 – Now… (and given the war in Ukraine [March 2022], The EthiSizer is more urgently needed than ever, but, the world hasn’t woken up to it yet, tragically.)